The Swyx.io 2023 rewrite
Last year I moved my site to SvelteKit with a major redesign. This year, I’ve done only a minor rewrite of my site:
If you’re new here, you can see the full source of my site at https://github.com/sw-yx/swyxdotio/ and see the key design considerations on the swyxkit readme.
Some thoughts on the rewrite:
- I made this sustainable by maintaining my own “clean” blog template with ”SwyxKit”. This let me track the many breaking changes in SvelteKit since I was adopting alpha software in 2022 that only recently became 1.0.
- I did also use it as an isolatable example to do things like improve the YouTube embed, add Layout Breakouts, and, my favorite, add fuzzy+highlighted search. These improvements now make their way into swyx.io.
- including table of contents widget and github utterances comment integration
- However the migration proved a lot more laborious than I had hoped, with a ton of minor decisions to review. (I expect to have missed some of them, so if you find any broken links please let me know!)
- The migration PR is at #464
- Last instance of 2022 is preserved at https://github.com/sw-yx/swyxdotio2022/ and the preview is at https://63d85fe7688d8600086b5974—scout-videos-51664.netlify.app/
I do think the current site is “trying too hard” to offer all my stuff to the reader, with the result of overwhelming them. I’ve been swayed by the minimalist and high value aesthetic of https://nat.org/ and want to rewrite the landing page to reflect that more in future.