Hey, I’m swyx! I help build great developer experiences, from demos to docs to dev tools to dev communities. I am currently working on the Smol AI Company working in San Francisco and Singapore.
I am also a frequent writer and speaker best known for the Rise of the AI Engineer on Latent Space, the Self Provisioning Runtime and Third Age of JS, and the End of Localhost on DX.Tips, and finally on the nontechnical side, the Learn in Public movement and The Coding Career Handbook.
P.S. “swyx” is the initials of my English and Chinese names and you can use it interchangeably with “Shawn”. It is pronounced “swicks”.
Last Updated around 1 Feb 2024
I am a developer/founder/angel investor, primarily active in the AI and devtools community. I am a GitHub Star, Stripe Community Expert, helped run the React subreddit for over 200,000 developers and grew Svelte Society from 0 to over 15,000 developers (writeup).
I grew up in Singapore 🇸🇬, but have worked mostly in the US and UK, working on Developer Experience for Netlify, Amazon Web Services, Temporal, and Airbyte. I am now independently working on Latent Space, the AI Engineer Summit and Foundation, and the Smol AI Company.
In a past life:
I was a currency options trader turned TMT hedge fund analyst as well, and I often do approach tech from an investing and risk management angle.
- I am Editor of the Latent.Space newsletter and podcast, and co-organizer of the AI Engineer Summit
- I am also working on the Smol AI Company (unannounced) and Smol Haus in the Arena
- I less frequently update my personal blog and magazine DX.tips.
- You can get more high frequency updates on my Twitter.
swyx is Editor of Latent.Space and Founder of the Smol AI Company. He has helped Developer Tools cross the chasm at AWS, Two Sigma, and three devtool unicorns - Netlify, Temporal, and most recently as Airbyte.
He has started and run communities for hundreds of thousands of developers, like Svelte Society, /r/reactjs, and the React TypeScript Cheatsheet. While Latent Space covers the Rise of the AI Engineer, his personal blog (https://www.swyx.io/ideas) covers Tech, Careers, and Indie Hacking, and his nontechnical writing was published in the Coding Career Handbook for developers going from Junior to Senior.
Selected prior talks:
- The Hooks talk: https://swyx.io/hooks
- The Concurrent React talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyFHR0dDZo0
- The Operating System of You: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Sj6jo4o1I
- Paradigm Lost (Cascadia JS 2022): https://www.swyx.io/paradigm-lost
- Short AI bio: Swyx is founder of Smol.ai. He is best known for his writing on the Rise of the AI Engineer on the Latent.Space newsletter and podcast. Swyx was most recently co-founder of the AI Engineer Summit and Foundation. You can find him on Twitter, Github, and YouTube.
- Long bio: Swyx is founder of Smol.ai and author of The Rise of the AI Engineer. After a quantitative finance career he has led developer relations at AWS and three devtools unicorn startups (Netlify, Temporal, Airbyte) and is best known for his work on the Latent Space podcast and the DX.Tips magazine. Swyx is currently working on the Smol AI Company in San Francisco and Singapore, as well as independently working on Latent.Space, the AI Engineer Summit and Foundation. You can find him on Twitter, Github, and YouTube.
Pictures of me you can use without asking
- Speaking photos
- AI Engineer Summit
- React Advanced, more, more, more
- React Miami
- JSConf, workshop, another angle
- CityJS Singapore
- AI Engineer Summit
- Social photos
- Cartoon Avatars
See https://swyxkit.netlify.app/about to clone my boilerplate.
for more on tech opinions, further reading: