Hey, I’m swyx! I help build great developer experiences, from documentation to dev tools to dev communities, most recently as Head of DX at Temporal.io, based out of Seattle. I am also a frequent writer and speaker best known for the Learn in Public movement and recently published The Coding Career Handbook with more advice for engineers going from Junior to Senior.
P.S. “swyx” is the initials of my English and Chinese names and you can use it interchangeably with “Shawn”. It is pronounced “swicks”.
I am a developer/PM/angel investor, primarily active in the devrel and devtools community as a blogger and speaker. I am a GitHub Star 🌟, Stripe Community Expert, helped run the React subreddit for over 200,000 developers and grew Svelte Society from 0 to over 15,000 developers (writeup).
I grew up in Singapore 🇸🇬, but have worked mostly in the US 🇺🇸 and UK 🇬🇧 , most recently remotely out of Miami, Florida, working on Developer Experience for Netlify, Amazon Web Services, Temporal, and Airbyte (unannounced).
In a past life I was a currency options trader turned TMT hedge fund analyst as well, and I often do approach tech from an investing and risk management angle.
- I most recently am working on Developer Experience at Airbyte.io.
- Apart from my personal blog and magazine DX.tips, I also regularly maintain community and updates for my book.
- I am also a regular on Svelte Radio and my own Swyx Mixtape.
- You can get more high frequency updates on my Twitter.
Selected prior talks:
- The Hooks talk: https://swyx.io/hooks
- The Concurrent React talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyFHR0dDZo0
- The Operating System of You: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Sj6jo4o1I
Pictures of me you can use without asking
- Speaking photos
- Social photos
- Cartoon Avatars
You can read: