Oct 2019 Recap
Hello mailing list friends!
October was almost the total opposite of September - Conference season came back in full force and I was back to doing a bunch of talks, with even a 4 conference week. I did finally release the large tutorial project I worked on in Sept.
In Nov I'll be rotating on to the product team for the next 3 months.
- Complete Intro to Netlify in 3.5 Hours - a collaboration with FreeCodeCamp.
- STAR Apps (at All Things Open (20 min) and SV Code Camp (1 hr)) - a talk-length fleshing out of my CSS Tricks article from earlier this year.
- Concurrent React from Scratch - an even more ambitious followup to my well received Getting Closure on Hooks talk from June, this time introducing the basics of React Fiber, Time Slicing, and Suspense from scratch. The video isn't up yet but I've put the code up.
- JAMstack & Serverless with Netlify - I found the DevMode.FM podcast recently and started being a vocal fan, and they invited me on to explain Netlify.
- ReactConf Preview - chantastic invited me back on the React Podcast (yay repeat appearance!) to recap what we knew about Concurrent React. I was very wrong about Relay, but everything else was roughly right.
- Donating $10k to FreeCodeCamp - my response to FCC's call for donations, which has been picked up for a #PayItBackwards campaign for FCC's 5 year anniversary.
I haven't had much time to continue work on swyx.io yet. Mark Erikson gave me important feedback about the UX of the site, and conversations with Jared Palmer and closely studying 11ty have helped me narrow down what I want to do for SSG so I also put up a roadmap for what I want to see. I'll present this at the new Svelte meetup on monday. (another thing I started in October)
That's it from me. All the best for your November and let me know if there's anything you'd like me to write about!