React's New Defaults
November 15, 2018
a talk about the Why of Suspense, Time Slicing, and Hooks in React
Concurrent React and React Hooks aren't simply new ways to do old things. They represent a new, stronger opinion of what apps should do by default. Let's explore the -Why- of React's new APIs!
This is a talk version of a popular blogpost I wrote: https://gist.github.com/sw-yx/17965a31413acb461c4d64028527011e
- Introduce the future roadmap of React
- Talk about the importance of good defaults in Technology
- Introduce the new defaults in Concurrent React and React Hooks
- Introduce a demo Movie app with today's React
- Demonstrate the drawbacks inherent in our current defaults
- Introduce React suspense, live code into the Movie app
- Talk about time slicing and the scheduler API
- Introduce React Hooks, live code into the Movie app
- Talk about Immediate mode vs Retained mode, and the "DX Mullet"
- Conclude by contrasting the current defaults vs the better defaults introduced by the new React APIs